I’m so glad that today is Introvert Wednesday! It’s the day of the week where I take time to write about being an introvert and hopefully give you some ways to either embrace your introversion or embrace the introverts around you (not literally, because a lot of introverts don’t like for our personal space to be invaded). But, today’s the day!!
And, today, I want to poke some fun at introverts. We are often accused of not being very funny (and I’m sure this post will only verify that) – but I’m going to take a stab at adding some humor to this conversation. So, here are 5 must-have tools for introverts:
1. Headphones – this one will help you at coffee shops and airports alike. You don’t want to talk to anyone, so put the head phones on and it’s almost like you’re invisible. Even if you don’t have it plugged into anything, people will tend to leave you alone when you have them on. It’s a real introvert’s paradise!
2. Texting app – you know you don’t want to talk on the phone. Having a texting app that you can use will still allow you to communicate necessary information without the awkwardness of talking to the person using your voice. And, emoticons took the ability to avoid answering the phone to a whole new level. Now you can show them exactly what you look like in that moment…as a yellow face with a dot for a nose.
3. Sunglasses – we all know that making eye contact with someone means that you have to speak to them. Sunglasses will take away that option. When you have your sunglasses on, not only will you make eye contact with no one, but you will also be somewhat undercover and unrecognizable to many that know you well. Need to run to WalMart to pick up a gallon of milk, just leave your sunglasses on the entire time you’re in the store – it’ll be your safe place.
4. Multiple Social Media accounts – maintaining friendships can be hard as an introvert. Before social media, you had to actually call your friends. Wish them happy birthday or congrats on the new baby. But, not any more! Now you can do that on social media without ever making one single phone call. And, you can do it from the safety and comfort of your bed in your PJs!
5. Calendar – if you’re as popular as most introverts that I know, you are often getting invited to parties and other fun events. But, we really don’t want to go. Trust me, it’s us not you. But a calendar will allow you the ability to take the extra step of checking it before you tell them you can’t make it. Just add a recurring appointment called “Introvert Time” to every Friday and Saturday night and you’re good to go! Now you can say “no” without the guilt of not having anything else going on. You’re excuse? Because introvert.
Ok, that’s all I got. Hopefully you at least smiled and maybe even giggled. What would you add to the list? Post it below and let me know!